Plants and trees will not grow in polluted areas, but some plants are more resistant to pollution than others.
The sources of pollution and the spread of the pollution can be inspected on the Map using layers.
Types of Pollution
Ground pollution includes water and spreads using the rules of hydrology, and "seeps" into nearby blocks.
Ground pollution is caused by:
- Tailings - A byproduct from Smelting.
- Garbage - Created when a player throws items on the ground.
- Sewage - A byproduct from Smelting at a Blast Furnace. It can be transported through Pipes.
"Currently, pollution reduction for Ground Pollution is based on how many solid blocks are above it, every 5 solid blocks reduces pollution by 50%. For example, with 10 solid blocks above the reduction would be 75%, with 15 it would be 87.5% and so on." - Version 0.9.2
Ground Pollution Example
Air pollution spreads through the air, and has the same effects on the fauna and flora as ground pollution, but is quick to dissipate if given time.
Air pollution is caused by:
- Smog - Smog is caused by the burning of fuels at Crafting Tables, or by the use of Vehicles. It can be transported through Pipes.
Prolonged air pollution can lead to sea level rising, which is devastating and is permanent.
Air Pollution Example
A Blast Furnace creating smog while in use
See also list Category: Polluter.
- Beta 8.0.0, Introduced Plumbing to ECO allowing the transfer of Water and Sewage through Pipes.
- Beta 7.2.x, Introduced Pipes to transport Smog.